Reply To: Monday Check-In: Wins, Goals, Action Steps

Home Forums Let’s Talk – Summer 2021 Monday Check-In: Wins, Goals, Action Steps Reply To: Monday Check-In: Wins, Goals, Action Steps

Millie Ford
Participant

Last night’s Master Class made me uncomfortable. I don’t think I’ve ever set a goal in my life. I went to graduate school 8 years after college. That was a decision. I went to classes, did my assignments, graduated. Doesn’t feel like a goal. I grew up with the belief that if you wanted something, that was a sure fire way to not get it. It’s hard to imagine my life too far into the future.

I have always been a “get it done now” kind of girl. I always got things done at work. Even assignments with longer deadlines. I didn’t wait until the last minute. I worked ahead as much as I could because inevitably Walmart or Kroger would drop a bomb and something needed to be done immediately. I could never count on having a specific block of time to get anything done so I worked on projects when I had time. If I had a goal of working 30 minutes a day on a project, I would fail. My days were always unpredictable so I learned to juggle my time while always meeting or beating deadlines.

Once at work, we had a speaker talk about goal setting, and she invited us to close our eyes and imagine our life 5 years from now. The only image I got was of empty Lake Shore Drive, no cars, no people. I made the mistake of sharing that with the group (we were forced to share ,) so if something like this came up in the future, I made something up. “What are you going to do with your bonus if we achieve it?” I said remodel my kitchen. That’s the last thing I would do. I don’t spend anymore time in my kitchen than it takes me to make coffee and pop something into the microwave.

Back to writing. I usually complete my assignments by Monday or Tuesday. I emailed my buddy group my story for June last week. I have edited the stories of my buddy group and completed the feedback forms. I am working on my July story.

I like the idea of having a list of writing topics. I will commit to do that by next Monday. While everyone was writing their goals last night, I was brainstorming this list. I don’t want to commit to writing every day because I won’t do it. Same thing with hours per week. I know I will write 4 more stories by the end of this session, but I am having trouble dividing it out into chunks of time. I don’t know if I want to go to Monday check-in because I won’t have solid metrics to report. Help!