Reply To: Monday Check-In: Wins, Goals, Action Steps

Home Forums Let’s Talk – Summer 2021 Monday Check-In: Wins, Goals, Action Steps Reply To: Monday Check-In: Wins, Goals, Action Steps

Becky McGregor
Participant

One of my goals is to read one memoir each month. This month a friend recommended a book called “The Ugly Cry”, by Danielle Henderson. I finished the book last night and I have to say – I would not recommend this book to anyone. She claimed it was a memoir, but it started with “I was born” and ended at her current age. So it seemed like a autobiography. Next she spent time on trivial items, that never seemed to have a point?? I’m big on dialogue, which the book contained. But from a structural point of view, part of a chapter would have dialogue embedded in a paragraph, then all of a sudden each line of dialogue would start a new sentence and be indented(like it should be). I could not figure out a rhyme or reason for why some was done correctly and some not?? Then on page 201, it began a new paragraph and it was all in present tense. This paragraph took up 2/3 of a page – all in present tense. The next paragraph went back to past tense. I know the book was edited – but it seemed to have a lot of mistakes that an editor should have found, and all of these things kept me from enjoying the book. Bottom line – I would not recommend this book.